Welcome to The Roof Top

In the early days of the church, people would gather on the roof tops to talk and share their lives with one another. I hope this blog can serve the same purpose.

This blog is designed to serve as an Online Growth Group for The Bridge Church in Cleveland, Ga, but everyone is invited to join in on the discussions about how God is working in our lives. Please feel free to watch the podcasts and join us in our walk.

Luke 12:3

What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs.



Sunday, February 13, 2011

What a great message this morning. Jeff reminded us of John 13:34, 35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” What a great thing for us all to remember. We were blessed to have Matt Rouse with us this morning. He said several things that caught my attention this morning, but the one that sticks with me the most is that if you want to get closer to God, you have to have an intentional relationship with him. So my question this week is this: What are you doing to have an INTENTIONAL relationship with God? I use to say I wanted to be a writer. I shared this with many people. It wasn't until a student in one of my classes asked me what I was writing that I realized I had to actually be writing if I was ever going to realize my dream of being published. I know, sounds simple to me now as well. It is the same thing being a Christian. If you want to be one, you have to actually act like one. Intentionally.

2 comments:

  1. Spiritual disciplines are key, and when I am able to be consistent, the dross of life falls to the side. I can more clearly see that the things that I thought were of priority matter very little. However, on days that I slip and fail to my flesh is magnified and can now physically, emotionally, and spiritually feel a difference.

    David Platt outlines a 5 component challenge that includes the following:

    1. Praying for the entire world (I like using Operation World by Patrick Johnstone). In a world with 4.5 billion people living without Christ and one billion dying of starvation, we need context for our compassion and a framework for praying for the universal church as well as the methods of world wide evangelism.

    2. Read through the entire word. Not the bible lite only what we want but Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21 and everything inbetween (and it has to be the 1611 King James Version...haha). Consider our national lack of spiritual fervency and biblical literacy (or even, perhaps consider our own...).

    3. Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose. Not give, sacrifice. How honest can we be with ourselves when we ask where we can put a cap on our lifestyles?

    4. Spend time in another context. This is where things get personal and it starts where we live but doesn't stop there. This is not a calling...it's a command. The calling part is only WHERE we go and HOW LONG we stay. We can't all spend our time in the same context, but the church community is very diverse so we are in luck! The bottom line is that we are all charged to do so.

    5. Commit your life to a multiplying community. This is where the previous 4 challenges converge. What can the body of Christ look like in White County? What a privilege to be a part of such a concept!

    Imagine a year of intentional prayer, study, giving, spending time out in a different paradigm, and multiplying community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the 4 steps that Matt Rouse outlined to restore hope:
    1) FACE REALITY: take ownership! He also explained that with every temptation, God gives us a way of escape.
    2) BE STRATEGIC
    3) LIVE ABOVE REPROACH (disgrace). He added that God is not concerned about your comfort - He's concerned about your character! Nothing Good is easy.
    4) RISE UP AND BUILD! Move forward - your past is like a platform or mile marker. Use it to move forward.

    Remember Romans 5:3-5 ...but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

    ReplyDelete